24 September 2013

The Burning Sky by Sherry Thomas


The Bone Season by Samantha Shannon
Publisher: Balzer + Bray     
Publication date: September 17th 2013
My rating: 5 stars


It all began with a ruined elixir and an accidental bolt of lightning…

Iolanthe Seabourne is the greatest elemental mage of her generation—or so she's being told. The one prophesied for years to be the savior of The Realm. It is her duty and destiny to face and defeat the Bane, the greatest mage tyrant the world has ever known. A suicide task for anyone let alone a sixteen-year-old girl with no training, facing a prophecy that foretells a fiery clash to the death.

Prince Titus of Elberon has sworn to protect Iolanthe at all costs but he's also a powerful mage committed to obliterating the Bane to avenge the death of his family—even if he must sacrifice both Iolanthe and himself to achieve his goal.

But Titus makes the terrifying mistake of falling in love with the girl who should have been only a means to an end. Now, with the servants of the Bane closing in, he must choose between his mission and her life.


Do you want the know what was the first thought I got after finishing with The Burning Sky? Well it was - I need to find that 'throws confetti gif' online because that's how I feel right now. That was my first thought. Then I actually went and googled it and found out it's not confetti the dude is throwing but rose petals. *crickets chirp* At least I didn't announce it to the whole world I didn't notice till now, oh wait... I actually had the thing saved on my laptop under throws confetti.gif. 

Annndd...here it is. 
Well, I can sure talk about nothing, can't I? OK, OK. I'm going to review the book even if it's been over a month since I last wrote a review. Hey! I was busy with work! I still am!       Stop! Talking! 

The Burning Sky has all the elements a great fantasy novels should have-magic, unique world building which is convincing at the same time, a dashing hero, a bad ass heroine, wonderful romance and more than 400 pages. The last one is a joke but I do love it when they're longer. Even though I rarely read books over 360 pages. 

You know those books where someone close to our heroine promises her they`ll always be there for her but when the time comes she`s forced to act alone without anyone`s help? Well, in this book, our heroine, Iolanthe, does have help from someone and that person is Titus, the prince of her Realm(or whatever you call it) who`s actually by her side every step of the way and is not afraid to get hurt as long as she stays safe. Now, that`s admirable! Titus even falls for her even though she`s dressed as a guy and has to cut her hair. He tries to keep it under wraps since everyone he cared about ended up dead. He obviously fails and doesn`t hide it well. But by this point I was sold due to Titus`awesomeness! He`s a real man who isn`t actually fearless and yet he would do anything to keep Iolanthe, or Fairfax(her boy name) safe. He will protect her from dragons, mean old ladies, their dangerous inquisitor even from herself. 

Iolanthe has her doubts in Titus especially since she found out he lied to her and tricked her into a blood oath. She finds out she`s a rare elemental mage who isn`t yet convinced she`s all that. But she doesn`t complain even though she goes through so much in such a short period of time. She`s ready to fight and learn. To be better and to strive. Plus, she can play a great boy. It`s not easy being around them 24/7. 

Romance was surprisingly well done. Well, I shouldn`t be so surprised. After all, Sherry Thomas did write a bunch of historical romance novels. But she obviously knows how to write one for teens so I applaud her for that. And that world building! Just marvelous! 

I can`t wait to get my hands on the sequel. Too bad it`s coming out next year. Oh, the dreaded wait! And people will surely tease me with their ARCs while I sit and mope in my room. 



3 comments:

  1. Wow! This book sounds so amazing. Great review :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was amazing! Hope you'll check it out, Kim. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This books sounds so promising! I wasn't sure what to expect but I think your review and the rose petals gif totally helped me out. Great review and I'm glad to see you enjoyed the book! :)

    ReplyDelete