21 April 2013

Hidden by Marianne Curley


Hidden by Marianne Curley
Publisher: Bloomsbury 
Publication date: June 25th 2013
My rating: 1 star


For as long as Ebony can remember, she's been sheltered. Confined to her home in a secluded valley, home-schooled by her protective parents, and limited to a small circle of close friends. It's as if she's being hidden. But something is changing in Ebony. Something that can't be concealed. She's growing more beautiful by the day, she's freakishly strong, and then there's the fact that she's glowing
On one fateful night, Ebony meets Jordan and she's intensely drawn to him. It's as if something explodes inside of her--something that can be seen from the heavens. Ebony still doesn't know that she's a stolen angel, but now that the heavens have found her, they want her back.

 Jesus Christ! Please strike these characters from Heaven! Please, I beg of you. 

I've never read a Marianne Curley book before but a lot of people seem to love Old Magic so I thought, what the hell, Hidden has a pretty cover and the blurb sounds decent even though most angel books turn into fails, at least for me they do. So... I. Read. IT! 

I read it after dropping it two months ago. It was so painfully stupid. The characters! My God! The insta love is in warp speed. And it happens twice. Please, take your time so it sinks in. It happens twice! This girl feels this insane attraction and 'love' for two guys. She is such an immature brat. She disobeys her mother and gets into more trouble at every turn. Oh. I can just feel this headache thumping inside my head. It's pounding more and more. And the mother is not any better than her daughter. It's probably genetic. Just picture yourself being 15 or 16 and telling your friends how mean your mum is for not allowing you a lot of things. Picture her being stupid, because there is no way a mother can be smarter than her child. No way. Sounds familiar? There you go! I'm sure we've all done it once or twice. But we aren't smarter than our parents, at least not till our boobs stop growing. 

Who wouldn't be pissed off if s/he had to deal with this type of ridiculous characters and storyline in general? 

I wanted to like it. I even put it on my wishlist so I could order it. I'm glad I waited and wasn't blinded with the pretty cover. 


4 comments:

  1. That doesn't sound very good. Sorry you didn't enjoy the book as much as you had hoped :(

    I thought the cover was really pretty too

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! I'm sorry you had such a bad reaction to Hidden. I was excited about reading it too, but if it's that bad I'll skip it! I also liked the cover!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ugh, I'm not a big fan of instant attraction or sparks igniting upon first glance. If there is a reason behind the insane chemistry, then I might understand. But I'm just not a big believer in love at first sight and tend to get turned off when that's all a book has to offer. Thanks for the helpful review!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The cover is gorgeous, at least there is that. I haven't read anything by the author but I have heard her books are good. With the exception of this one. Even the ones who love her previous books haven't been fans of this one. I think you are right to recommend skipping it. I will however pick it up just to look at the cover if I ever get the chance!

    ReplyDelete