17 April 2013

Book Review: Requiem by Lauren Oliver


Requiem (Delirium, #3)

Book: Requiem (#3 Delirium)
Author: Lauren Oliver
File Type: Paperback
Release date: March 5th 2013
Publisher: Harper Collins Children's books.

Synopsis: 


They have tried to
 squeeze us out, to stamp us into the past.

But we are still here.

And there are more of us every day.

Now an active member of the resistance, Lena has been transformed. The nascent rebellion that was under way in Pandemonium has ignited into an all-out revolution in Requiem, and Lena is at the center of the fight.

After rescuing Julian from a death sentence, Lena and her friends fled to the Wilds. But the Wilds are no longer a safe haven—pockets of rebellion have opened throughout the country, and the government cannot deny the existence of Invalids. Regulators now infiltrate the borderlands to stamp out the rebels, and as Lena navigates the increasingly dangerous terrain, her best friend, Hana, lives a safe, loveless life in Portland as the fiancĂ©e of the young mayor.

Maybe we are driven crazy by our feelings.

Maybe love is a disease, and we would be better off without it.

But we have chosen a different road.

And in the end, that is the point of escaping the cure: We are free to choose.

We are even free to choose the wrong thing.

Requiem is told from both Lena’s and Hana’s points of view. The two girls live side by side in a world that divides them until, at last, their stories converge.


Okay. Okay. Okay. Okay. OKAY. I can do this. I CAN DO THIS!

I wasn't expecting anything when I jumped into this one. I've read a lot of reviews and I trust the viewpoint of each and every friend of mine. I was so disappointed by the response because this series is like my baby. I mean as far as I can remember , Delirium has always been one of my favourites! Could be because of the whole forbidden love shebang or could be because Lauren Oliver's writing appeals to the reader that I am. I wasn't even planning to read this one because my treacherous fingers had a mind of their own and clicked onto spoilers..yes you notice the 's' after the word 'spoiler'? Yes, that's right. They clicked on MANY spoilers. So I already knew what was going to happen.

And I was pretty sure that I was not going to like it.

BUT. I did like it.

Call me stupid but this is exactly how I felt when I finished reading Pandemonium. Funny thing is, at that point of time, I was emotionally shattered and blown away by it and I was dying. And now when I think about how I feel about Pandemonium, I'm all Meh.
Maybe it's just the high of the moment. Or maybe it's because I didn't actually mind the end. I don't know. But for now, I really did like what I got. And it was totally unexpected. Did I want a clear cut solution of the problem that is Alex-Lena-Julian? Yes. But here's the thing. I'm pathetically involved with this series and the end that Oliver wrote was exactly what I needed.

And about the double POV's between Lena and Hana, there were moments where I felt that I just wanted to read Lena's POV and there were moments where I just wanted to listen to Hana. Either way, it all worked out okay in the end. And fit well.

Maybe after a few months, when I'll think about this book again, I would be fairly unhappy with the ratings I'm giving it now, but for now, It's alright and I'm satisfied.







3 comments:

  1. Phew, I'm glad the finale is satisfying. I can't wait to pick up Requiem, but I've decided to read some of my unread books before I go out to buy it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was really satisfied with the end. It was an end not many were okay with but for me , it was pretty okay. Oh I hope you like it. Maybe even love it. :)
    Oliver's writing is fantastic as always!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good review! A lot of people didn't like this book. I thought it was good and I liked the different POVs. <3

    ReplyDelete