Heartthrobs in YA Fiction
Heartthrobs: sigh, gasp, swoon! They’re your book crush of the moment – the love interests that make your heart skip a beat and they’re great fun to read about. There is at least one heartthrob in each one of my books and yeah, sometimes there are two because who doesn’t love a good triangle?
In my book Adventures in Funeral Crashing it’s Ethan Ripley , the hottest guy in school, who catches Kait Lenox funeral crashing and ends up asking for her help in solving a murder mystery. In Doppelganger, the heartthrob is Aedan Finnegan, a cute guy with red hair, who along with Citrus Leahy finds out he has a doppelganger who is trying to take over his life – dun, dun, dun! In The New Girl Who Found A Dead Body there’s Jake, the nice guy who is the main character, Chloe’s childhood friend turned hottie AND there’s also Grey , the mysterious, rich guy who loves taking photographs and who might have captured the last moments of Lora Kelly alive with his camera.
I like writing about heartthrobs just as much as I love to read about them. It’s always fun to have a book crush. On that note, here are some of my favorite heartthrobs in YA Fiction:
1. Peeta Mellark in The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins: Through thick and thin, Peeta helps Katniss and somewhere along the way he became the biggest heatthrob. I didn’t have an opinion about him either way at first, but he grew on me and I liked him more and more as the story went on. The neat thing about him was that Peeta isn’t the strongest guy in the story, but he is very smart and as far as Katniss goes, he liked her all along. I know I wanted to scream at Katniss for being so wishy-washy about him. I would have snapped him up! I do have to note that Finnick Odair also caught my eye. Hey, there can be two book crushes in one book!
2. Harry Potter in the Harry Potter Series by JK Rowling: He may not be your typical heartthrob, but I find Harry oh-so-cute! He’s smart, savvy, he saves the world, and he knows how to do magic! Plus, he has a scar with a great story!
3. Gilbert Blythe in Anne of Green Gables by Lucy Maude Montgomery: This is one of those classic books that I still love! Although Anne hates Gilbert for the longest time, he’s super smart and I know I had the biggest crush on him! He had me at carrots!
4. Michael Moscovitz from The Princess Diaries by Meg Cabot: I guess I’m a sucker for the smart guy because I thought Michael was pretty great. It also helps that Robert Schwartzman did a great job of playing him in the movie version – perfect casting choice!
5. Stefan and Damon Salvatore in The Vampire Diaries by LJ Smith: Although it’s been a long time since I’ve read the books, I absolutely love the TV series! I loved the books first, though, and even then Stefan and Damon were both super heartthrobs. Although, I’ll admit, bad boy Damon always had a little bit of an edge over good guy Stefan. There’s something about the bad boy…who you feel like maybe you could turn good!
And, one that I’m looking forward to being introduced to:
7. Tobias “Four” Eaton from Divergent by Veronica Roth: I’ve just heard a lot about him and I’m excited to read the books, so yeah, I’m really looking forward to meeting him!
Who are your book heartthrobs? I’m always on the lookout for another one to add to my list! Happy reading!
About the author:
Author Milda Harris is a Chicago girl who ran off to Hollywood to pursue a screenwriting dream! She has a dog named after a piece of candy (Licorice), was once hit by a tree (seriously), and wears hot pink sunglasses (why not?). Between working in production on television shows like Austin & Ally, Hannah Montana, and That's So Raven and playing with her super cute dog Licorice, she writes young adult murder mystery, horror, paranormal romance, and chick lit novels.