25 February 2013

Book Review: Bloodlines by Richelle Mead

Title:  Bloodlines
Author:  Richelle Mead
File type:  paperback
Release date:  August 25th, 2011
Genre:  YA, paranormal romance, urban fantasy, vampires


Sydney protects vampire secrets - and human lives.
Sydney belongs to a secret group who dabble in magic and serve to bridge the world of humans and vampires.
But when Sydney is torn from her bed in the middle of the night, she fears she's still being punished for her complicated alliance with dhampir Rose Hathaway. What unfolds is far worse. The sister of Moroi queen Lissa Dragomir is in mortal danger, and goes into hiding. Now Sydney must act as her protector.
The last thing Sydney wants is to be accused of sympathizing with vampires. And now she has to live with one...


I was SUPER excited about Bloodlines. SUPER! SUPER!!! Most of us who read this book or soon-to are either huge fans of the VA series or just stragglers hopping on board after we convinced them that this book is going to be epic. 
I can tell you now that all it ended up being was an epic disappointment. It is really hard for me to say this,it really is. But I did not love it as much as I though I would. 


Lets start with Sydney. I had a problem with her. She is a type of person I wouldn't like to hang out with. Sydney wasn't a great choice of narrator, and constantly got on my nerves. The fact that during VA we had this strong, caring, determined badass chick as an minor character has given us certain expectations. No matter what I think of her for what she did at the end, we respect her, admire her and to be frank, she's pretty awesome. And then we are presented with this judgemental, spineless girl who thinks she's better than everyone else and who is pretty useless in my opinion. I did not connect with her as much as I did with Adrian.


And Adrian, well, it's pretty obvious that I love Adrian and I am more than enjoying his company here because he was the only character who hadn't changed. I kept thinking just one thing while reading parts with him-Adrian is the male version of me(except for the drinking and smoking)! 


Then we have Jill...Jill is Lissa's replacement who is even more useless. Jill is even more selfish and careless than Lissa. Should I judge her? She is fifteen and is dealing with a lot. There were so many guys all over her. Shouldn't one guy be enough? The whole scenario with her and all these boys just came out of nowhere and it seemed pretty unrealistic. I felt bad about Eddie. He was just a sweetheart and he deserves better. 

Compared to Vampire Academy, Bloodlines was boring because there wasn't much action yet I know Richelle still isn't done with this storyline. I'm going to be more open minded and go along with what I got. This was just the beginning of the spin-off. 

One of the big let-down points I'm going to point out was that, the plot was a predictable. While reading, I didn't get surprised.I almost immediately saw there was something fishy going on with Lee. Shouldn't the villain be the least person you would suspect?

I have so many conflicted thoughts on this book. Maybe I'm being unfair. After all it's the first book in the series, and I am sure Sydney will grow on me, and maybe I should just accept the fact she's not our favorite bad ass girl Rose, but it's not that simple.

Since The Golden Lily is already pre-ordered I just hope it will be better than Bloodlines. 

And what do you guys think about the last sentence? I was like KICK HIS ASS ADRIAN!!! Russian Gods are overrated! :D


1 comment:

  1. Personally, I still liked the book.. Granted, the pace was slower but Sydney isn't a fighter so I expected that. Nor is Adrian, or Jill. Athough I do agree with you about the attention Jill got. What was up with that?

    ReplyDelete