Top Ten Characters in the Dystopian Genre.
The past week had been a tad hectic and this week seems to start on the same note. For this week's TTT , Zemira couldn't be present as she had some personal chores to handle. So I'll be flying Solo this week which in a way is quite jarring because I've always had to just list out five of my favourite things! And it's perfect because two people together , shows different perspectives and tastes. Which kind of rocks. Anyhow. This week as you can see is about the Top Ten Characters in X genre, and even though I'm a total contemporary cookie, All my favourite characters come from genres that are..well..not contemporary. My favourites are mostly from the Dystopian and fantasy and post apocalyptic worlds , but surprisingly Dystopia beats all. So let's start shall we?
1. Katniss Everdeen from The Hunger Games- I think, for me, the YA genre officially started with the Hunger Games trilogy. Maybe because it was the first of it's kind (atleast for me) or maybe because it was just , in the right words, awesome? but Katniss Everdeen, for me ,is the evergreen symbol of awesomeness. So much action , So much fire , So much Passion! Oh I'm so happy Ms. Collins was born.
“I want to do something, right here, right now, to shame them, to make them accountable, to show the Capitol that whatever they do or force us to do there is a part of every tribute they can't own. That Rue was more than a piece in their Games. And so am I.”
2. Dani O' Malley from Iced: The fever series- Somehow, I can't help but just love this kid. She is so cool. Super strength, Super power, Super hearing, Super running and the use of the English language in the worst way possible in contrast to her intelligent and more mature side is a lovely treat to read about. She's just fourteen yet she would throw herself in front of a stranger to save him or her. She is strong and stubborn yet as it is with teenagers, it isn't hard to see her vulnerable side as well. Ps- I'm pretty sure that the book isn't dystopian , but what the hell.
"This is my world and fecking Fae is taking it from me."
3. Tris Prior from The Divergent series: Another one of my favourite leading ladies. Even though Tris and I have had a very turbulent relationship, I can't help but relate to her impulsiveness and in some cases, sheer stupidity. Somehow.
"I am not Abnegation. I am not Dauntless.
I am Divergent.
And I can’t be controlled."
4. Warner from The Shatter Me series- I'm not sure what his first name is. I think it hasn't even been mentioned. yet. Warner is...my kind of dark chocolate. After reading the novella from his point of view, I can't help but like him more and more. So much vulnerability, so much love, so much conflict and he's still manages to be a badass. How cool is that?
“Watching her talk to someone else made me crazy. I was jealous. Ridiculous. I wanted her to know me; I wanted her to talk to me. And I felt it then: this strange, inexplicable sense that she might be the only person in the world I could really care about.”
5. Penryn from Penryn and The End of the World series- Oh yes. I'm a feminist. Another badass female whose decisions actually make sense.
"I never thought about it before, but I’m proud to be
human. We’re ever so flawed. We’re frail, confused, violent,
and we struggle with so many issues. But all in all, I’m proud
to be a Daughter of Man. "
6. Perry from Under The Never Sky series- Oh lord this guy. THIS GUY. I think I had drool on my face while I was reading Through The Ever Night. His love for Aria , his strength, his belief , he himself! For all I know , I'd munch him alive.
“It didn't matter if Aria was hundreds of miles away, or whether she'd hurt him, or said goodbye, or anything else. Nothing would change the way he felt. The moment Aria had taken his hand on the roof at Marron's, she'd changed everything. No matter what happened, she'd always be the one.”
7. Heron from the Partials series- We were introduced to Heron in Partials but our initial introduction was really brief. After reading the novella, Isolation War which btw is from her PoV , I can already see her playing a pivotal role in the cominh books. And also because she's totally badass.
We are at war," said the voice," a war we must win at all costs ; you know that-"
"What I want you to do," said Heron softly , " is to think long and hard about this. You made us to kill and conquer, and we are doing it better than you ever anticipated. Far better than you could ever do yourselves. You are no match for us. Do not make us your enemy." She stared into the darkness and a wicked smile crept into the corners of her lips , "Confirm?"
8. Julian from The Delirium trilogy- While everyone likes Lena and Alex, I seriously can't help but fall for this guy. All his life he's lived in a world with absolutely no knowledge of what it feels like to be in love and when he finally does , shit comes his way. Yet he goes on. And I like that about him. I can't wait for Requiem to see how things finally pan out!
”Yes Julian ?”
“What does it feel like ?”
“What are you talking about ?”
“The Deliria ?”
“I-I can’t describe it ..”
“I want to know .” his whispered “I want to know with you.”
9. Alex from the Delirium trilogy- Hellooo, he sacrificed himself for Lena? How can you not love this guy. xD
“Are you sure that being like everybody else will make you happy?"-Alex
"I don't know any other way."-Lena
"Let me show you."-Alex
10. Raphael from Penryn and the End of Days- 'Don't talk about her.'
Oh god I think I can never forget this one particular line. Like Ever. An angel. Complete hottie. smart mouth. Hot mouth. Mouth?.
And totally badass.
“How long did you resist?” asks Uriel. “Did you push her away? Did you tell her she meant no more to you than any other animal? Oh, Raffe, did she die thinking you didn’t care about her? How tragic. That must just tear you to pieces.”
Raffe looks up with murder in his eyes. “Don’t. Talk. About. Her.”
OOOOh. SO MUCH LOVE.