Top Ten 2013 Debuts I'm Looking Forward To
- The Madman's Daughter by Megan Shepherd - Ever since the first day I read the synopsis of this novel I wanted to read it. I am a huge fan of gothic setting and this one is also a historical novel. Another plus.
- Between the Devil and Deep Blue Sea by April Genevieve Tucholke - This one is on my list because I can't help myself when it comes to mysterious guys. And it's a gothic novel!
- The Nightmare Affair by Mindee Arnett - I admit, The cover is what caught my eye at first, but what sparked my interest is the story of a girl which is a Nightmare. A real Nightmare.
- Ink by Amanda Sun - Since I'm probably the only person who still hasn't read Stormdancer I feel like this would work as well. There aren't many Asian characters so it will be refreshing to read about a different culture.
- Insomnia by J.R. Johansson - I've always loved thrillers. Real thrillers without the YA paranormal romance. This obviously has some kind of prn element,which I need to ignore in order to enjoy it fully.
My list contains a lot of paranormal novels and I don't like paranormal that much because they tend to annoy me after some time, and yet they ended up somehow on my list. I've browsed the 2013 lists and saw there aren't many great contemporary debuts that caught my eye. 2012 was a lot better year for debut novels. 2013 seems more like a year for concluding series and sequels rather than discovering new and fresh ideas. Nothing really screams buy me! buy me! Well, at least, that is my opinion.
I have to be honest. Until this post, I hadn't even thought about debut novels. So I'd like to thank the existence of this meme in this case. I started a contemporary girl, then fell in love with dystopia and then married fantasy. And so this is the reason why these books are my first choices.
- Pivot Point by Kasie West- This book sounds really interesting. If it's handled well , then it could be an amazing book but if it isn't then well, it could be a huge disaster.
- In the After by Demetria Lunetta- OMG THAT BLURB. Need this book now.
- The Madman's Daughter by Megan Shephard- This one is tagged as 'disturbing' and I love disturbing. Buwahaha!
- The Nightmare Affair by Mindee Arnett- A murder mystery. A girl who invades a hot guy's dream as a nightmare. Need I say more? Plus, that cover is just gorgeous!
- These Broken Stars by Amie Kaufman and Meagan Spooner- Again, THAT BLURB.Another one of my most-anticipated reads.
I have to agree with Zemira on this one. None of the books I see in 2013 have managed to attract me as much as the ones in 2012 did. This could also be because of the fact that this year is literally owned by books that are follow ups of a series. But we all started a series at one point of time. And the first books did attract us at some point of time. So I can only wish the authors and their books good luck and well, wait for my copy to arrive.