05 January 2013

Book Review: Falling For You by Lisa Schroeder


Falling For You

Book: Falling For You
Author: Lisa Schroeder.
File Type: E-book

synopsis:
Rae's always dreamed of dating a guy like Nathan. He’s nothing like her abusive stepfather—in other words, he’s sweet. But the closer they get, the more Nathan wants of her time, of her love, of her...and the less she wants to give. 

As Rae’s affection for Nathan turns to fear, she leans on her friend Leo for support. With Leo, she feels lighter, happier. And possessive Nathan becomes jealous.

Then a tragedy lands Rae in the ICU. Now, hovering between life and death, Rae must find the light amid the darkness…and the strength to fight for life and the love she deserves.


review:Falling For You was the first book that I read in 2013 and like I said earlier..It was a good way to start a year.

I love Lisa Schroeder. I've read almost all her books and The Day before and I heart you , you haunt me are books I totally adore and are also two of my many books that highlight my book shelf.
Her books are all in verse form and the beauty of it all lies in the fact that she can break our hearts a thousand times and swoon us off our feet by throwing poetry at us. WE ALL LOVE LISA SCHROEDER BECAUSE OF THAT!

And I think, that's what went wrong with this one.
This is NOT in a verse format. 

Earlier , I had given this book four stars out of 5 but after a lot of thinking I just couldn't fathom why I even liked it in the first place.
Here me out you all.
This is a book about a girl from a broken home. Her stepfather is abusive and her mother usually is a no-show in the area of love. A gorgeous guy likes her and she starts dating him , but he turns out to be a total nut. Then there's this other guy..and a very sad thing happens and blah blah blah.

So it's the classic sad YA soup story. It's not something we haven't heard about or read before. If you sit down calmly and think about it , you would notice that all the books that Ms.Schroeder pens down are books dealing with storylines we're all familiar with. But we still do love them. Why?
Because not everyone has the ability to touch our hearts and influence our emotions and write down a 'whole' story of about 500 pages in mere poetic verses. I have read poetry back in the day and I do read some now too but they're all limited to research and project purposes. None for my own pleasure. So for me, Lisa Schroeder is like my own personal John Keats , Robert Frost etc.

I won't say that the writing is bad because it wasn't. I wasn't bored , neither did I entirely hate this book. I did like it. My earlier googlyness could be because I've already mentioned it a thousand times and I'll say it once again , I love Lisa Schroeder.
This was well like any other book. Nothing new. Nothing exciting.

So would you want me to recommend this book to you?..maybe.
But if I were you , I would go ahead and read other books by her which are in the verse format. There is more to appreciate and more to like.
But I still love you Ms.Schroeder and I know that next time youwill hit me with your fabulousness. But just not today.

8 comments:

  1. Oh,I thought it would be in verse. :( Nooo! I really wanted to read it in verse. Now I'm really torn. To read it,or not.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It does have some poetry in it though. BUT STILL!
    You could actually read it when, you know , you're free. Although I'm not sure.. with this month's releases keeping me on my toes, I don't see how we'll make time. LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah,this month and February will be really intense. So many sequels and new debuts I want to read.

    I'll check this book when I'm in a mood for something like this,though I'm in the mood now but I won't read it cause I'm currently reading 4 books.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was a little disappointed to find out this wasn't a verse novel. I loved Chasing Brooklyn, it was AMAZING! So I really want to read more of her verse. This does sound like a book that I might like though. Great review Devyani. Hopefully her next story works out for you more. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Zemira, 4 books huh? :D
    I'm still onto The Book Thief and I feel bad because it really is nice!

    @Rachel, I know what you mean. I was a little surprised myself! Chasing Brooklyn was too good. Nico was such a bomb.LOL!
    I hope Lisa writes something in a similar format with alternate PoVs! Nothing better than being in a guy's mind eh? xD

    ReplyDelete
  6. So....you didn't like it? But you've liked her other stuff. I don't generally like books in verse so I won't try this one first of I do read her! Thanks for the review (;

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yep!
    You must try her books! They're great and just need an hour or maybe two hours for completing .
    Just a suggestion-When you start, start with The Day Before . It's amazing :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I haven't read any of the previous books by the author so even if I read this one I won't be able to compare the writing.. I was really looking forward to reading it though.. I'll read a few more reviews before deciding. Great review.

    ReplyDelete