23 June 2014

Sinner by Maggie Stiefvater

Sinner by Maggie Stiefvater  
Publisher: Scholastic Press      
Publication date: July 1st 2014
My rating: 5 stars


Sinner follows Cole St. Clair, a pivotal character from the #1 New York Times bestselling Shiver Trilogy. Everybody thinks they know Cole's story. Stardom. Addiction. Downfall. Disappearance. But only a few people know Cole's darkest secret -- his ability to shift into a wolf. One of these people is Isabel. At one point, they may have even loved each other. But that feels like a lifetime ago. Now Cole is back. Back in the spotlight. Back in the danger zone. Back in Isabel's life. Can this sinner be saved?

It's no secret I love Cole ever since I first read about him in The Wolves of Mercy Falls trilogy. I did feel like Cole's story wasn't finished and guess what? I was right! The fact Maggie decided to write Sinner means the world to me. 

The story starts with Cole being his charming self and he's gone to Los Angeles to find Isabel and along the way, to make a new record. When he does, he sees Isabel is not quick to forgive him for being a hot mess (I'm putting it mildly). He's been using drugs to induce his change in warm weather. He's doing it to escape from his thoughts and past that are still haunting him. 

It's hard to explain why I love Cole and Isabel together. They are both messed up people. Cole, a showman and Isobel, an ice queen. But  when they're together, sparks fly. The beginning of the book was playful and I was smirking at their bickering. Later, I was consumed with a severe case of feels. Their scenes weren't swoony. They were raw and real. Don't think Maggie wrote anything like this before. I feel as if this book was her most distinctive story so far. I mentioned this in one of my status updated- Sinner was everything I hoped The Piper's Son would be. I had high expectations for TPS because it's Melina freaking Marchetta we're talking about here but I ended up being disappointed because I didn't feel the connection with the book. That wasn't the case with Sinner. 

Maggie Stiefvater isn't known for writing contemporary books but I have to say, this book was one of those strange paranormal novels which doesn't talk much about paranormal stuff. The essence of this book is based on personal growth and not on fangs and paws. If you, like me, prefer contemporary novels over paranormals, then you'll be smitten with it because our dear author brought out all the guns. And if you're not a fan of contemps then you'll still enjoy it because of Cole and Isabel. Mrs. Stiefvater made me love this book more than I love The Dream Thieves and Linger

I don't really know what to say about this book. It was phenomenal! It made me think outside my box. It was the kind of book you would put on a special place in your shelf because it deserves it so I encourage you, go and order it! 

If you're interested, check out the mix I made for this book.

6 comments:

  1. 5 Stars! Okay, I'm definitely excited to read this one now. I feel like I read The Wolves of Mercy falls series a decade ago. It's such a far memory! Glad you loved this one so much. :D Lovely review Zemira!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm iffy on whether I am going to read this or not, but you definitely have me curious! 5 stars!!!! Great review.

    ReplyDelete
  3. YAY! I'm so glad that you loved it! I have my copy pre-ordered and CANNOT wait until it arrives. I just adore this series!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I completely forgot about this book!!! *facepalm*
    Good to know it lived up to your expectations. Mine are high too. :))

    ReplyDelete
  5. I haven't finished the Shiver Trilogy, but I tried the first one, and was really bored that time (t'was 3 years ago :o). I might give it another try since this companion novel feels like a good catch! So glad that you liked this. Fantastic review, Zemira! :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. Glad to hear you enjoyed this one so much! I have the first book in the trilogy, but haven't started it yet. Thanks for the reminder!
    ~Jess

    ReplyDelete