18 June 2014

Falling into Place by Amy Zhang

Falling into Place by Amy Zhang 
Publisher: Harper Teen      
Publication date: September 9th 2014
My rating: 5 stars

On the day Liz Emerson tries to die, they had reviewed Newton’s laws of motion in physics class. Then, after school, she put them into practice by running her Mercedes off the road. 
Why? Why did Liz Emerson decide that the world would be better off without her? Why did she give up? Vividly told by an unexpected and surprising narrator, this heartbreaking and nonlinear novel pieces together the short and devastating life of Meridian High’s most popular junior girl. Mass, acceleration, momentum, force—Liz didn’t understand it in physics, and even as her Mercedes hurtles toward the tree, she doesn’t understand it now. How do we impact one another? How do our actions reverberate? What does it mean to be a friend? To love someone? To be a daughter? Or a mother? Is life truly more than cause and effect? Amy Zhang’s haunting and universal story will appeal to fans of Lauren Oliver, Gayle Forman, and Jay Asher.


Incredible! Absolutely incredible! I am sure Falling into Place will be huge after the release date. I will be ordering it for myself because there's no way I'm going to pass the opportunity to put this among other all time favorite titles on my shelf. 

This book was so complex and yet simple are the same time. It deals with a lot of topics teenagers and older crowd can identify with-bullying,   loneliness, depression, suicide, teen pregnancies, cheating and addiction. I don't think I left out anything out. If you liked Before I FallIf I Stay and Thirteen Reasons Why I'm sure you'll like Falling into Place as well. 

Since I love torturing myself I had to read this book. I rarely miss a chance to read about someone trying to kill himself. A bit morbid, but that's me! I also had to find out who the 'unexpected and surprising narrator' was. I had a theory which quickly turned out to be wrong. In the end, I was pleased with the answer. 

Liz Emerson's a popular girl who does whatever she wants. She doesn't care about hurting others and enjoys humiliating other, less popular students. Everything is perfect at first glance but once she goes home she's all alone. Her mother is always away, working and her dad died while she was a little kid. She has two close friends but she never reveals her struggle with depression to them. She has a boyfriend but he cheats all the time. Then there's Liam, a guy she humiliated just because she could. Liz is horrible and yet, even she has redeemable qualities. 

I loved the mysterious narrator. His voice was so distinctive, soothing, and pleasant. He was trying to get through to Liz so she could see things in a different light.  SPOILERS I've never read a book told from a childhood imaginary friend. That alone guaranties a mind-blowing experience. 

Liam's character was also great. He saw Liz for what she really was, not just some shallow, cruel girl. I wanted to hug him almost all the time and I actually cried a bit after the crown scene. 

Last few chapters were pure torture. By then I was a sobbing mess and couldn't even read like a normal person because of the tears. If you want to still be my friend, you'll need to read this book by October. See, I'm not a complete tyrant. I'm giving everyone of you a month to buy this perfection and read it. If I was able to finish it in one sitting, I'm sure you will find the time in September. 

Do yourself a favor and pre-order Falling into Space right now! It will be money well spent because you will be reading it to your gran-kids one day until the books starts falling apart. 

3 comments:

  1. This sounds amazing - great concept, emotional and thought-provoking! I normally don't go in for the really tear-jerking contemporary reads, but the science aspect, and your review intrigues me! I hope to pick it up sometime!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved this one as well! My review will be up around the end of August. :) Great review, Zemira!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I read a lot of books about depression and suicide, so this book is right up my alley! Looking forward to this one!

    ReplyDelete