16 June 2014

After the End by Amy Plum

After the End by Amy Plum 
Publisher: Harper Teen      
Publication date: May 6th 2014
My rating: 3 stars

World War III has left the world ravaged by nuclear radiation. A lucky few escaped to the Alaskan wilderness. They've survived for the last thirty years by living off the land, being one with nature, and hiding from whoever else might still be out there.
At least, this is what Juneau has been told her entire life.
When Juneau returns from a hunting trip to discover that everyone in her clan has vanished, she sets off to find them. Leaving the boundaries of their land for the very first time, she learns something horrifying: There never was a war. Cities were never destroyed. The world is intact. Everything was a lie.
Now Juneau is adrift in a modern-day world she never knew existed. But while she's trying to find a way to rescue her friends and family, someone else is looking for her. Someone who knows the extraordinary truth about the secrets of her past.

Juneau lives in Alaska believing World War III destroyed the rest of the world and her clan was lucky to escape. One day, on a hunting trip she sees a town filled with people living their lives. When she returns her clan has disappeared so she sets off to find them. She meets Miles, a city boy and he starts helping her. 

All this is fine it's just that both of them were annoying. Juneau gives her two dogs to a lady so she can take care of them until she returns. Now this wouldn't be strange if she knew this person before but she just met her and thought she looks harmless. What kind of logic is that? I know Juneau is just discovering the new, evolved world but she shouldn't have to be so naive. 

Then there's Miles. He's a rich boy/wannabe delinquent who ends up suspended from high school for doing some naughty things. His father's not pleased and doesn't let him roll into Yale. LOL Yeah, right! Punish him with not going to school. That's the best thing you can do for your neglected son. I'm sure he'll still be loyal to you and not to the strange girl he just met. Miles was annoying most of the time like one those mean characters from cartoons. Nothing major but still enough to piss you off. 

I didn't think much about the book until the two main characters got separated. The pace quickened as soon as they got away from each other. This is where things got interesting. I know they're suppose to be together so the romance could start but I wasn't feeling it. There was too much childish bickering between these two and it wasn't even the cute bickering where you were waiting for the moment where they'd realize they love each other. 

After the End is still so much better than the first Amy Plum book I've read, Die for Me. I still plan to read the sequel which will probably be out next year. 

2 comments:

  1. I really enjoyed If I Die... so if this one is better... I am sure I will love it. great review.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read If I Die years ago, so I barely remember if I liked it or the writing or not. So, I've been on the fence on whether or not I'll read this one. I feel that from the summery this book won't be down my alley, but I still want to give it a try. However, if the two main characters are annoying I might not get to this one.
    Great review :D

    ReplyDelete