10 February 2013

Book Review: How To Kill A Rockstar by Tiffanie DeBartolo

Book: How To Kill A Rockstar
Author: Tiffanie DeBartolo
File Type: Paperback
Release Date: September 1st 2005
Publisher: Sourcebooks Landmark



synopsis:

Written in her wonderfully honest, edgy, passionate and often hilarious voice, Tiffanie DeBartolo tells the story of Eliza Caelum, a young music journalist, and Paul Hudson, a talented songwriter and lead singer of the band Bananafish. Eliza's reverence for rock is equaled only by Paul's, and the two fall wildly in love. 
When Bananafish is signed by a big corporate label, and Paul is on his way to becoming a major rock star, Eliza must make a heartbreaking decision that leads to Paul's sudden disappearance and a surprise knock-your-socks-off ending.




Eh.

Before I begin I'd like to just inform you all beforehand that this book if you think about it in all it's entirety is..spectacular.
It's a book by an author who can seriously write. And I mean it. I've highlighted half of my copy and it's insane.
There are so many beautiful quotes. So many beautiful things that make you want to just crank out your music system and just simply die and flow into music. This book is MUSIC. It's so beautiful and weird. I feel stupid giving it three stars but the more critical side of me just won't give it more than that.

How To Kill A Rockstar is a really well written book. It's well paced and absolutely engrossing. I loved all the twists and turns and I loved the story in general.
It's fair to say that if not for some tiny things that really irked me every single time, I probably would have been a total groupie. You know like truly, deeply, madly and obsessively in love with it. 

Devyani explains why she likes this book?

-Amazing male characters. And by male characters , I mean every single male character. It all began from Paul and then to Loring and oh yeah John the Baptist and oh yeah the four Michaels too and did I mention a guy called Doug Blackman? Well him too.

-PAUL.
What a guy. 
Ninety nine percent of my highlighting-madness was because of him. The things he says and this he DOES. Wowie ka Zowie. I am so in love.
He'd hit you with things like ,

“Personally, I don’t like inherently happy people. I don’t trust them. I think there’s something seriously wrong with anyone who isn’t at least a little let down by the world."

and..

“Note to self: Always remember how lucky you are to wake up next to someone who thinks you're the shit.”

AND..

"“I just want to sleep with a clear conscience and wake up with the ability to look at myself in the mirror. I also want my life to be my own. Even if it's a shitty goddamn life, it's still mine.” 

Tell me you don't love him already? *dies*

-Music.
I try to think of myself as a total music lover and I try but after reading books like these and experiencing music from these eyes..even if they are merely fictional..I feel really stupid and illiterate in terms of music.

-The Romance till one of the characters screwed it up.

-PAUL again.

-The element of taking risks for getting what you want and being who you want to be.

-The reality of life.

And now..Devyani explains why this book disappointed her?

Let's begin with the most pivotal thing.

-The female protagonist. Eliza 'fucking' Caelum.
Oops my language. Not.
I tried to be as empathetic as I could be but damn this female is just stupid. I've said it a million times and I'll say it yet again, If you can't make me believe that this stupid female has been going through a rough patch in her life and that I as a reader can't clearly see her growth, then I'm sorry this book is just not for me. Thank for lord that there were guy POVs also in this book or I would have seriously gone suicidal.

-I'm not trying to sound brash or be a party pooper but I felt that most of the book was really predictable. Now there were some smart elements and there were places that left me with a 'WHAT?!' in a good surprised-expression way but where it mattered was where I found it most predictable and that kind of let me down.

-The way things end.
I'm sorry but I totally with 100% clarity DONOT support that end. 

-The mid section of the book.
I was so irritated with Eliza that I couldn't really like the mid section of the book. And that also became a downside for me.

In the end, I feel that this book would have been a definite success for me if not for those irky things mentioned above. All I can tell you all is to give it a try. Because you all really should. Now is the time when it really stands true that you should be really open minded when it comes to such books. I feel that everybody needs to give this one a try. I may have not liked it as much the others did but I do have friends who have adored this book and I trust their instincts whole-heartedly. So go ahead, read it out and maybe if you must, we shall have a conversation about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment