03 January 2013

Book Review: The Sea of Tranquility by Katja Millay


The Sea of Tranquility

Book: The Sea of Tranquility
Author: Katja Millay
File Type: Paperback



synopsis:

I live in a world without magic or miracles. A place where there are no clairvoyants or shapeshifters, no angels or superhuman boys to save you. A place where people die and music disintegrates and things suck. I am pressed so hard against the earth by the weight of reality that some days I wonder how I am still able to lift my feet to walk.

Full of rage and without a purpose, former pianist Nastya Kashnikov wants two things: to get through high school without anyone discovering her past and to make the boy who took everything from her pay.

All 17 year-old Josh Bennett wants is to build furniture and be left alone, and everyone allows it because it’s easier to pretend he doesn’t exist. When your name is synonymous with death, everyone tends to give you your space.

Everyone except Nastya, a hot mess of a girl who starts showing up and won’t go away until she’s insinuated herself into every aspect of his life. The more he gets to know her, the more of a mystery she becomes. As their relationship intensifies and the unanswered questions begin to pile up, he starts to wonder if he may ever learn the secrets she’s been hiding or if he even wants to.

The Sea of Tranquility is a slow-building, character-driven romance about a lonely boy, an emotionally fragile girl, and the miracle of second chances.

Please Note: This book contains mature content including profanity, drug/alcohol use, and sexual situations/language.

review:
"I need to know that there's a way for people like us to end up okay. I need to know that there even is such a thing as okay, maybe even good, and it's out there and we just haven't found it yet. There's got to be a happier ending than this, here. There's got to be a better story. Because we deserve one. You deserve one. Even if it doesn't end with you coming back to me." 

It took me lots of time in finishing this book. And it definitely is not because of the size of the book because I have read books much fatter than this one and have finished them in 8 hours straight or maybe much longer , but I have.

So this is what happened..I was really excited about this book. Like very VERY excited. Because almost all my friends gave this one about 4-5 stars and have nothing but nice things to say about it. It was a classic Need-You-Now situation for me. Then when I finally got it , I was so excited. About 50 pages in and I wanted to throw this book away and read some other book. I remember calling this whole experience really 'tedious'. I left this book and ventured out into other books. Last night, I saw this book and I vowed to myself that I would finish it , also keeping in mind that if this whole thing became too tiresome , then I won't hesitate in abandoning this one.

Guess I didn't abandon it.

The Sea of Tranquility is a slow-building, character-driven romance about a lonely boy, an emotionally fragile girl, and the miracle of second chances.
This sentence just about covers the whole summary of the whole book.

I'll tell you all why you should read this book.
You should read this book simply because of the beauty of it. The first 100 pages may suck the life out of you and you may consider options like total-book-abandonment but here's what you should do: Be patient. Because later when you get into the book , you'll regret keeping the book on hold. 
You should also read this book because you will fall in love with the male protagonist Josh Bennett because he's perfect. He may have been through a lot and his actions in present could be really messed up but the way his whole character has been created and the way he has been portrayed is enough to make you fall in love with him. You should also read this book because even after all the revelations might seem messed up and weird to you and that some things were a tad unnecessary , the suspense and the heart-wrenching elements of the book would keep you engaged. You should also read this book because of characters like Drew and Clay who are total surprise packages and soon become a family to you. You should read this book because if you want to have a peek in the gruesomeness of life that left you wounded and scarred and probably broke your soul into tiny pieces , then this book is just totally perfect for you. Weirdly this book kept on reminding me of Where She Went. Now it could be because both the novels have the 'second-chance' storyline backing it , somehow in a very weird way , while reading this book , I felt exactly the way I felt when I readWhere she Went. You should also read this book if you like cake , especially chocolate. You should read this book if you want swoony romance. You should read this book because it's simply good.

5 comments:

  1. What a great book. I'm really glad you liked it. :)

    Hope Katja writes something new very soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know! I would love something by her too...but next time I hope she doesn't start in a slow pace because right now I feel like an idiot for keeping this book aside for so long. :P

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope her new books comes out soon because this one actually came out last year so she had plenty of time to write something new.

    If she writes something like this for the second time then she will land on my auto-buy list.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the review! It has been on my TBR list since it was published, but I haven't read it yet :(

    ReplyDelete
  5. My sister has my Kindle because I am a dang good sister (!), and one of the books on it is this one. She asked me about it, and I told her that I had not read it but I have literally heard NOTHING but great things about it. So she gave it a shot. I literally was sent a text a day telling me that I have to read this book ASAP. I finally started it today, and I must admit that things are starting slowly. But now that I have read your review, I will persevere and read this one and hopefully love this book as much as my sister and so many others have. I really don't have the option of abandoning book because I think my Sis would be pretty dang mad!

    ReplyDelete