24 November 2013

Book Review: World After by Susan Ee.


World After (Penryn & the End of Days, #2)Book :World After (#2 Penryn and the End of days.)
Author: Susan Ee
File Type: Paperback
Release Date: November 21st, 2013
Publisher: Skyscape.
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

synopsis:
In this sequel to the bestselling fantasy thriller, Angelfall, the survivors of the angel apocalypse begin to scrape back together what's left of the modern world.

When a group of people capture Penryn's sister Paige, thinking she's a monster, the situation ends in a massacre. Paige disappears. Humans are terrified. Mom is heartbroken.

Penryn drives through the streets of San Francisco looking for Paige. Why are the streets so empty? Where is everybody? Her search leads her into the heart of the angels' secret plans where she catches a glimpse of their motivations, and learns the horrifying extent to which the angels are willing to go.

Meanwhile, Raffe hunts for his wings. Without them, he can't rejoin the angels, can't take his rightful place as one of their leaders. When faced with recapturing his wings or helping Penryn survive, which will he choose?



WHAT ARE YOU, SUSAN?

My brain has officially exploded and it feels fantastic.
My heart is still racing. My brain, by the way is still exploding. There is an earthquake in my body and it still hasn't stopped affecting me. Mind you, this is 24 hours after finishing the book and additional six hours of sleep where I dreamt of Pooky bear.

....Pooky Bear.

If somebody asked me about my favourite character in the entire book, I'd have to say that it would be Pooky Bear. HANDS DOWN.
On second thought, I'd probably divide my love and give some to Paige too, because her role in the book moved my soul.
I'm an emotional child and Paige had me weeping my eyes out.
WAIT. My thoughts need some modification. I'll have to add Penryn's mom (WHAT IS HER NAME, ANYWAY?)too. World After could never be World After if not for her evergreen presence. She was creepy, hilarious and badass. VERY badass.

As for Penryn, I've always thought that she was a fantastic protagonist and she continues to live upto my skyscraper expectations, but sorry girley, your mom, sister and sword stole the show and also, my heart.

I won't go into much detail. There's a lot happening in this one. We have scorpion-beasts-who-are-part-human and their stingers. We have bad bad bad angels. We're taken to the 'enchanting' prison, Alcatraz and we're further thrown into a world, where humans aren't just the pests that are to be exterminated but also a sensational piece of entertainment. Personally, I would definitely not like to live in a world that is like the one in the book. It scares the shit out of me and I sure as hell do not wish to be an energy-lollipop or in simple words, food. THIS is definitely one of many positives of World After and the fact that the detailing, setting, atmosphere and feel of the entire storyline was successful in making me feel uncomfortable, in a good way of course, in more than twenty occasions, says more than enough about its awesomeness.

There is so much emotion bottled into this one tiny book. There is pain. There is wonder. There is fear. There is sorrow. There is hope. There is courage. There is BADASSNESS. There is longing. There is love.
Also, there is so much of humour.
I don't remember laughing so much during Angelfall, or maybe I did but I clearly don't remember. From Penryn's decision to name the sword Pooky Bear to her mother to Raffe *melts* and to finally the twins, tweedledum and tweedledee.

EVERYTHING WAS SO FUNNY.

Although, Angelfall had me cringing more with all those gruesome things running around, World After made sure that it wasn't far behind.
Like I said, I never want to exist in a world like that.

And now, Raffe.
I'M SORRY BUT WHY WASN'T THERE MORE OF HIM? You're breaking my heart, Susan. WHY MUST YOU FINISH THE BOOK SO SOON. I wouldn't mind if you wrote millions of pages! I'd read them all, even if they're crap. I love crap. But getting back to the point that I had initially raised: Why did you rob me off my Raffe? *weeps*
Friends, there was Raffe but it wasn't Raffe Raffe. He was there yet not there. AND THAT DOES NOT SATISFY ME,okay?
He's still cool though. BUT. I WANT MORE RAFFE.

The world is an unfair place.

This book got over too fast. I'm sorry but this review is just pissing me off now. I AM SO ANGRY. They expect me to wait two more years for this? Two more years to wait for Raffe? And Pooky Bear?
Penryn's mom should just pop out from the book and do her thing. I'm pretty sure that the success rate would be pretty high then. Or Maybe, Penryn should start with her kicking ,Paige with her chewing and Raffe, well.... just about anything. Please, come to me fast. This wait will kill me. KILL ME.

"You came for me."

Note: THAT ABOVE is my favourite quote in the entire book and it's mocking me.





No comments:

Post a Comment