09 August 2013

Undercurrent by Paul Blackwell


Undercurrent by Paul Blackwell
Publisher: Harper Teen    
Publication date: July 23rd 2013
My rating: 2.5 stars


A shadowy figure. An intense roar. The sensation of falling—fast.
That’s all Callum Harris remembers from his tumble over the waterfall. But when he wakes up in a hospital bed and finds his best friend trying to kill him, Callum knows something is seriously wrong. Unfortunately for him, the mysteries are just getting started. 
Why are his parents acting like he’s some big sports star all of a sudden? And why are all the buildings in town more run-down than Callum remembers? Worst of all...what happened to Callum’s brother? Either Callum has gone seriously crazy or something happened when he went over the falls. Something impossible. Callum needs answers, and now. Because in this twisted new version of the life Callum knew, his former best friend isn’t the only one who wants to see him dead.
Filled with mind-bending suspense and unsettling thrills, Undercurrent is a grippingly paced teen debut that will pull you under and never let go.

Over the past year or so I've been reading more thrillers  than I ever had in my whole 24 years on this planet. There's just something special about unraveling the mystery while you're on the edge of your seat. 

Callum wakes up disoriented in a hospital surrounded with family and friends. He doesn't know how he got there when his best friend tries to smother him with a pillow. Soon he finds himself in a world where he's no longer the geeky, silent guy but the most popular one in school. Callum doesn't try to do anything. He doesn't question why are things the way they are. He just goes along with everything. 

I already knew what was going on mostly because of the Goodreads shelves listing a very important spoiler. The story was still engaging but I wasn't trying to find out what is going on because of the spoiler. I found myself skimming whenever there wasn't any dialog, which is a sign of losing interest. 

However, I was satisfied with the ending even though a lot of bloggers don't agree with me. We don't reveal every secret in this book but I was glad Callum got the ending he deserved. 

1 comment:

  1. I have this one on my TBR pile. That sucks that goodreads shelves had some spoilers. I now know not to look at those regarding this book. Great review!

    Kay @ It's a Book Life

    ReplyDelete