17 July 2013

Unraveling by Elizabeth Norris


Unraveling by Elizabeth Norris
Publisher: Balzer + Bray    
Publication date: April 24th 2012
My rating: 3.5 stars

Sixteen-year-old Janelle Tenner is used to having a lot of responsibility. She balances working as a lifeguard in San Diego with an intense academic schedule. Janelle's mother is bipolar, and her dad is a workaholic FBI agent, which means Janelle also has to look out for her younger brother, Jared.
And that was before she died...and is brought back to life by Ben Michaels, a mysterious, alluring loner from her high school. When she discovers a strange clock that seems to be counting down to the earth's destruction, Janelle learns she has twenty-four days to figure out how to stop the clock and save the planet.
Well, this was interesting!

Even though I wasn't sure what was happening in the first half of book I couldn't get enough of it. I usually get frustrated whenever I don't get some answers by the first half of the book but I didn't mind the suspense in Unraveling

Elizabeth Norris knows how to create a captivating world. Her writing is never tiresome. Her heroes are intriguing and likable. I only wished they didn't swear since I'm a little bit uncomfortable with characters in YA novels using that kind of language. I do swear but if I wrote a book for younger audience I wouldn't use cuss words in it. 

It's hard to explain what this book is about without spoiling it big time. I didn't read any reviews before I started reading Unraveling for the same exact reason. 

Sorry for this short review. I didn't want to discuss the plot because of the spoilers so if there still are people who haven't read Unraveling yet, pick it up! You don't want to miss this exciting roller coaster ride! 

Since I was listening to the audio version of this book I would like to give props for the narrator, Katie Schorr for doing such an incredible job. 


2 comments:

  1. I'm glad you liked this overall, Zemira! I do understand what you mean about the swearing, but I actually don't mind it too much in fiction myself. Which is strange, because I despite it in reality. :)

    Lovely review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I guess it was different because I was listening to the audiobook so it felt more real, like I was watching real people swear. Hope this makes any sense.

    ReplyDelete