27 May 2013

The 5th Wave by Rick Yancey


The 5th Wave by Rick Yancey
Publisher: Penguin    
Publication date: May 7th 2013
My rating: 2.5/3 stars


After the 1st wave, only darkness remains. After the 2nd, only the lucky escape. And after the 3rd, only the unlucky survive. After the 4th wave, only one rule applies: trust no one.
Now, it’s the dawn of the 5th wave, and on a lonely stretch of highway, Cassie runs from Them. The beings who only look human, who roam the countryside killing anyone they see. Who have scattered Earth’s last survivors. To stay alone is to stay alive, Cassie believes, until she meets Evan Walker. Beguiling and mysterious, Evan Walker may be Cassie’s only hope for rescuing her brother—or even saving herself. But Cassie must choose: between trust and despair, between defiance and surrender, between life and death. To give up or to get up.

*slightly spoilerish review* 

Even though it's doesn't take much effort for me to write negative reviews because it's easier for me to express those not so good things about a certain book. Believe me, I didn't wanted it to happen with The 5th Wave since I bought it and I've been hearing such great things about it for months. 

There was this huge hype even before it got out and it drove me crazy when someone posted a 5 star review. I eventually got the book but I was reading the first 50 pages for two days. It was nothing but empty pages. Nothing was happening. Only pages and pages of info dumping. I usually prefer getting info dumped here and there, not right from the start and all through the whole 460 pages long novel. It didn't work well for me. I couldn't ignore it.  Or maybe I was just so tired I couldn't keep my eyes open. Or maybe those twitter chats were more interesting. Maybe it all of those things put together. 

One of my GR friends told me to keep reading because it gets better and surprise! It did. It was so good I started comparing it with Angelfall. At certain points of the novel I liked it more than The Hunger Games. Mayfly was this awesome post-apocalyptic warrior with a soft heart.  There was this crazy killer called The Silencer, Zombie was giving me these tingly feelings and  Nugget was just precious. Everything was super-duper. *insert intense music* DUM DUM DUM  then the dreaded romance started. Oh, Mr. Yancey! I usually enjoy reading romantic scene but you, Mr. Yancey, failed me this time. You gave me a girl who talks more about those deep brown eyes and his chocolate breath; the guy who creeps around the girl, reads her diary and hides the truth. Thank you, dear author. Thank you. 

Everything went downhill from there. I kept reading it and hoping things will turn around and be great again but it never happened. Out of all characters I found Zombie's POV most interesting. Everything else just didn't capture my attention. I kept glancing when his part is coming next. Other parts were, dare I say, boring? At least they were up until the very end when shit got done.

The reason I gave it 3 stars and didn't go any lower is because of awesomeness which is Mayfly (At least before she met The Silencer), Zombie's change from a coward to a hero, Nugget being such a brave little soldier and Ringer giving me Allyson (from The Immortal Rules) feels. In the end, I think I will buy the sequel. I need to find out what the 6th Wave is! Right now! 




1 comment:

  1. This is the first not-so-great review of The 5th Wave that I have read, but I like to see all opinions of a book before I read it so I'm glad. I do hope I love it though because it is the first book I have bought at full price in a LONG time!!

    ReplyDelete