11 April 2014

Maybe One Day by Melissa Kantor

Maybe One Day by Melissa Kantor
Publisher: Harper Teen      
Publication date: February 18th 2014
My rating: 4.5 stars


Zoe and her best friend, Olivia, have always had big plans for the future, none of which included Olivia getting sick. Still, Zoe is determined to put on a brave face and be positive for her friend.

Even when she isn't sure what to say.

Even when Olivia misses months of school.

Even when Zoe starts falling for Calvin, Olivia's crush.

The one thing that keeps Zoe moving forward is knowing that Olivia will beat this, and everything will go back to the way it was before. It has to. Because the alternative is too terrifying for her to even imagine.

In this incandescent page-turner, which follows in the tradition of The Fault in Our Stars, Melissa Kantor artfully explores the idea that the worst thing to happen to you might not be something that is actually happening to you. Raw, irreverent, and honest, Zoe's unforgettable voice and story will stay with readers long after the last page is turned.
Everybody knows how much I love to read realistic stories. I can never get tired of them. At first I didn't want to read Maybe One Day because the first cover was giving me some fantasy/paranormal vibes. I didn't read the blurb so I ignored it altogether. And then one day, the cover was changed and I had to read the blurb. Once I did, I knew I would be reading it sooner of later. It turned out to be later because I didn't read the book for months. I'm not even sure why that happened. 

Zoe and Olivia were inseparable. They've been friends since they were little. They were thinking about being professional dancers one day and living in Manhattan together and then Olivia got sick. What seemed to be a simple case of flu, turned out to be leukemia. Now both girls need to find a way to stay strong despite everything that's going on. 

Maybe One Day was a hard book to read. I'm still not sure what to say about it. I did cry towards the end a lot. I was expecting it because Kantor did prepare us for the worst. I was waiting for it to happen a lot sooner but I'm glad it didn't. 

Zoe was impulsive and in the moment type of person while Olivia was usually the kinder person who was well liked in every circle. They complimented each other in every possible way. Their friendship was the center of this novel. Nothing else came even close. Not even the romance which was believable and hot despite the fact Zoe and Calvin not having a lot of scenes. He was suck a good guy I found myself wishing he was a bigger part of the novel even tough it was obvious he would be there for Zoe, no matter what. 

i'm glad I read this book even though it made me feel mad sad and mad at the same time because not everyone can win against leukemia. I'll be on the lookout for other Melissa Kantor books because she proved herself as a writer with this wonderful story about friendship. 




4 comments:

  1. I'm so happy you liked it! I have this one from the library and now I want to read it asap to see what you're talking about. Books that make you feel a ton of emotions are my favorite! Great review :)

    -Jessica (Peace Love Books)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should read it as soon as possible. Don't waste any time! Be sure to have a box of tissues near.

      Delete
  2. I was actually kind of glad that it took the direction it took (and it not actually being in the perspective of the character with cancer) it really gave you a outerlook on how it affects not just the person with cancer or their family, but their friends, their school, everything, you know? And I loved the friendship between them and how she felt stuck after, it was very realistic, but it also showed hope. It was sad and emotional, and I kind of got angry with it at times, but I'm glad I read it, too. :)


    Kirsty @ StudioReads

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad to see a different perspective towards this book. The majority of the people hated it so much, mainly because of the main character's selfishness, but I definitely could see it being realistic. If a book evoked such strong feeling from you, that's a mark of a super great book!

    Faye at The Social Potato Reviews

    ReplyDelete