26 February 2014

Of Poseidon by Anna Banks

Of Poseidon by Anna Banks
Publisher: Feiwel & Friends      
Publication date: May 22nd 2012
My rating: 2 stars


Galen is the prince of the Syrena, sent to land to find a girl he's heard can communicate with fish. Emma is on vacation at the beach. When she runs into Galen—literally, ouch!—both teens sense a connection. But it will take several encounters, including a deadly one with a shark, for Galen to be convinced of Emma's gifts. Now, if he can only convince Emma that she holds the key to his kingdom...
Told from both Emma and Galen's points of view, here is a fish-out-of-water story that sparkles with intrigue, humor, and waves of romance.
To quote Emma "Oh, my sweet goodness" this book was annoying. Everything about it was annoying-the characters, the 'plot' and the relationship development. 

Emma's on a vacation with her friend Chloe when a shark attacks Chloe, tears her leg of, killing her in the process. Can't say I was upset because Chloe's character was created for the sole purpose of dying right then and there. Luckily, Emma also met Galen that day. She actually bumped in him and made this whole scene about how embarrassing it was to slam into the hottest guy she ever saw. She really wouldn't stop talking about it. Get over it! 

After Chloe dies and Emma looses her phone, Galen decides it's a good idea to track her down even though she lives very far away because she's also a Syrena, like him. He buys a house and a car in the same city. He even starts going to her school where they have the same class schedule. Creepy much? Don't even get me started on the window climbing. 

Everything about this book screamed Twilight. I wonder what was the author thinking creating characters which fought all the time about the most trivial thing. Since the book was more for the younger readers, I really don't think it's a good idea. Kids read all kind of things and become inspired with the actions of these characters. I'm sure there are better ways of solving problems without yelling and punching. 

The best part of this book was the Syrena mythology. The underwater city, how mermaids change their legs into fins and all the Poseidon and Triton rivalry. 

My friend told me the second book, Of Triton is better than the first so I'm going to check it as well. Based on my not so good experience with Of Poseidon I would probably skip the sequel but I'll take her word for it. 


No comments:

Post a Comment