05 August 2014

Come Back to Me by Mila Gray

Book: Come Back to Me
Author: Mila Gray
File type: Ebook
Releasing date: June 19th 2014
Publisher: Pan Macmillan

synopsis:
Home on leave in sunny California, Marine and local lothario Kit Ryan finds himself dangerously drawn to his best friend's sister, Jessa - the one girl he can't have.

But Kit's not about to let a few obstacles stand in his way and soon Jessa's falling for his irresistible charms.

What starts out as a summer romance of secret hook-ups and magical first times quickly develops into a passionate love affair that turns both their worlds upside down.

When summer's over and it's time for Kit to redeploy, neither Kit nor Jessa are ready to say goodbye. Jessa's finally following her dreams and Kit's discovered there's someone he'd sacrifice everything for.

Jessa's prepared to wait for Kit no matter what. But when something more than distance and time rips them apart they're forced to decide whether what they have is really worth fighting for.

A breathtaking, scorchingly hot story about love, friendship, family and finding your way back from the edge of heartbreak.



This book reminds me of a cupcake with lots of frosting on it.
On the first bite, it tastes divine. On the second, it's excellent but by the time you're ready to take the third bite, you ask yourself 'Is it just me or is this cupcake a little too sweet?'

There's a lot to like about this love. The romance is genuine and sweet, if not cheesy..which it was on many occasions. The writing was simple, understandable and fluid and that worked well for the novel which was paced well. There was never a dull moment and nothing could take me away from the book until I had finished it. 

I've always loved beginnings. The promise of young love or love of any kind, the uncertain future and what lies ahead. The tentative first glances and stares. The first few steps into the real world. Beginnings are always magical. 
But here, I found myself gravitating towards the journey undertaken by both Jessa and Kit. I was stuck in the middle and I wanted to stay there forever. I didn't care about their past or future, I was living the present through them. This is what I ask of NA. I want love and not some overly tortured characters who want to sex each other up, all the time. But that worked for some novels, so I'm going to stay mum about that now. 

But here's the thing, to add complexity, there were several different elements that ran from Army boys to psychological desires to lusty thoughts and finally, back stories among many back stories. (yes, I'm exaggerating and not exaggerating)
All of this added together was a little too much. The cupcake was dense and the frosting sweet.
There were some tiny unnecessary bits, like that epilogue which I believe we could have lived without and the characters individually weren't as appealing as they were when they were together. 

On the whole, Come back to Me, is an entertaining read. If you're in need of some cupcakes and sweetness, then this is it guys.



No comments:

Post a Comment