02 May 2014

Second Chance by Katie Kacvinsky

Second Chance by Katie Kacvinsky 
Publisher: Create Space      
Publication date: October 31st 2014
My rating: 5 stars

Can two drastically different, imperfect people be perfect for each other?
It’s been four months since Gray and Dylan have seen each other. Dylan’s been traveling in Europe, while Gray has college, baseball, and a life rooted in one place. Gray’s determined to forget Dylan, the girl he fell in love with in First Comes Love. Besides, how do you make a relationship work with an independent loner?
Just when he decides he’s over her, Dylan makes an unexpected entrance back into his life, hoping their steamy romance can start right where it left off. Gray realizes you can tell your mind to do one thing, but you can’t always convince your heart to follow. Dylan realizes she finally has to make a choice between freedom and her relationship with Gray.
Hilarious, intense, inspiring, and emotional, Second Chance shows that love is a journey, and there are never clear road signs or maps to guide you along. You can only navigate with your heart.


It's been over a year since I last read First Comes Love. It left a lasting impression on me.  I wasn't expecting much. Just another contemporary story I'll forget soon enough. Boy I was wrong. It was a breath of fresh air among other new adult novels with insufferable characters and stupid, pointless drama. Don't you want to read a real story for a change? Why bring up obnoxious players with six packs and insecure, beautiful virgins in the picture? Read something genuine instead! 

Katie Kacvinsky knows how write characters. They're real. They make us feel things. They are us. As far as I'm concerned, she can do no wrong. I really have nothing remotely negative to say about Second Chance which sucks for me because I love to complain about all sort of things. Everything was perfect! 

Gray's back in college, playing baseball which Dylan's backpacking through Europe. They haven't seen each other in four months. Then Dylan comes back into Gray's life. He did try to stay away from her claiming he wants to be friends with her. Since that didn't work out well, they slowly start dating again. They are perfect for each other but that doesn't mean everything works out perfectly. Dylan's trying to change herself completely so she could stay with Gray. She stopped wearing baggy jeans, found a job, started dressing like a girl and so on. I knew what was going to happen next. Gray saw Dylan lost the spark and he sets her free. I really have no idea how's Katie going to work everything out in the end. Both of these characters have different goals in life-Gray wants to have a steady future while Dylan feels at home while she's roaming the world. I still want them to be together because I love both characters so much. 

Another home run for Katie Kacvinsky. No pun intended. I can't wait to see how this all plays out. I'd love if everyone ended up reading these incredible books but I'm a realist and I know no one's going to read it if I start nagging so I'm just going to stop. Don't read it! Miss out Gray and Dylan! Go ahead! I dare you! 


No comments:

Post a Comment