25 October 2013

The Summer I Found You by Jolene Perry


The Summer I Found You by Jolene Perry
Publisher: Albert Whitman & Company     
Publication date: March 1st 2014
My rating: 2.5 stars


Kate's dream boyfriend has just broken up with her and she's still reeling from her diagnosis of type 1 diabetes.Aidan planned on being a 'lifer' in the army and went to Iraq straight out of high school. Now he's a disabled young veteran struggling to embrace his new life.When Kate and Aidan find each other neither one wants to get attached. But could they be right for each other after all?

What to say about the book which doesn't have a correct information the blurb? Aidan was not in Iraq but in Afghanistan. If I did make a mistake, please feel free to correct me. 

Based on the cover and title you would say it's about a summer romance between two wounded souls. Well, that's not completely correct. The characters are in fact going to school and there is no summer in this book (except for the title). And the cover is a fail cause it doesn't match the book, at all. Don't get me wrong, I like the colors and the picture itself it just doesn't batch with anything I read. 

Kate's still hung up on her preppy ex when she meets Aiden, a nineteen year-old 'veteran'. Together they try to use each other to forget their problems. Kate's struggling with type 1 diabetes and Aidan losing his right arm and PTSD. Thrown in there's some family drama I won't bore you with. Nothing significant. 

Can't say I was disappointed with TSIFY. That would mean having some expectations. This is the second J.Perry book I read and I think it will be the last. It just wasn't for me. I didn't think it was raw enough for me consider the heavy themes in the book. It was too light for my taste. 


No comments:

Post a Comment