08 March 2013

Book Review: Reboot by Amy Tintera


Title:  Reboot
Author:  Amy Tintera
File type:  egalley
Release date:  May 7th, 2013
Genre:  YA, dystopian, sci-fi

Five years ago, Wren Connolly was shot three times in the chest. After 178 minutes she came back as a Reboot: stronger, faster, able to heal, and less emotional. The longer Reboots are dead, the less human they are when they return. Wren 178 is the deadliest Reboot in the Republic of Texas. Now seventeen years old, she serves as a soldier for HARC (Human Advancement and Repopulation Corporation).
Wren’s favorite part of the job is training new Reboots, but her latest newbie is the worst she’s ever seen. As a 22, Callum Reyes is practically human. His reflexes are too slow, he’s always asking questions, and his ever-present smile is freaking her out. Yet there’s something about him she can’t ignore. When Callum refuses to follow an order, Wren is given one last chance to get him in line—or she’ll have to eliminate him. Wren has never disobeyed before and knows if she does, she’ll be eliminated, too. But she has also never felt as alive as she does around Callum.
The perfect soldier is done taking orders.
I was so disappointed after I finished reading Reboot because I had such high expectations. After all, this was on my 'can't wait' list. A lot of people loved it but it was just average in my opinion. I hate being among the first people who didn't enjoy a book (even though the first 40% wasn't that bad). I don't want to write bad reviews, especially if it's a debut author. I don't want to be that person but I have to tell the truth. It just wasn't for me. 

Wren is the best Reboot because she it took 178 minutes to revive her. So, whoever stay dead longer s/he is considered more of an empty shell than a person with feelings. During lunch she sits at the over 120 table and only picks the highest raking reboots to train. This all stops when she meets Callum, who is a 22- the lowest raking reboot. She picks him as her new prodigy and they start training. This is where the problems started for me. Since Callum is considered more human than reboot his main characteristic is that he smiles all the freaking time. Even when Wren beats him senseless. Soon they fall in love. 

Ever, Wren's roommate who was revived under sixty minutes starts to act strangely. Her hands start to shake and she often attacks Wren during the night, wanting to bite her. She is not the only one. All under sixty reboots have the same problems because they have been given some shots which would make them more aggressive and less human. 

The main problem this book had is that it revolved around romance instead of focusing on the world building. I never thought I would say this but there was so much kissing. I wanted them to stop kissing and do something else for a change. After some thought I came to the conclusion these two aren't a really good match because even though Wren is (apparently) in love with Callum she still remained cold and distant towards everyone else. Why can she only experience love? Why not anger, hate, compassion?  It's really strange. All in all, their relationship was not very appealing. 

The story was fast paced and entertaining (when they are not kissing). I have no objections there. Things were moving and every chapter had it's purpose, more or less. The dreaded kissing needs to stop  in the sequel (!!!), which I will read since I don't want to abandon a series/trilogy. 

The only connection I could find with Divergent is the training. Everything else is different. At least the romance and action scenes in Divergent weren't getting on my nerves. 


5 comments:

  1. Oh boy, I don't like it when books focus on romance (perhaps that's why I'm not such a fan of contemporary :p) I was expecting a lot from this book. Yours is actually the first review I've read, so that's not very encouraging.. Thanks for the honesty and such a shame that it was disappointing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You should read it, if you're still interested. It might work for you but I'm not so sure since it was all about the romance which wasn't even good.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm still definitely interested in this book, but I don't know how to feel after reading your review. You wouldn't think this is the type of story to focus on the romance so solely. It definitely sounds like it's a part of the story, but not as much as you state it is in your review. I'll be sad if it doesn't live up to my expectations, since I think the premise for this book is so unique!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a bummer! This book sounded like it had so much potential. It's not at the top of my TBR list but I would like to read it...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Too bad you didn't enjoy this one. I did end up really liking it. I do wish it hadn't focused so much on the romance but it didn't sour it for me. Better luck next time!

    ReplyDelete